Nevada’s proposed date for adult-use is July 1, 2017, which is coming up quick. Although a court order may push the date back a bit, for retailers getting ready to open doors, now is the time to make sure you are prepared for the inevitable onslaught of new customers and tourists looking to visit the new marijuana mecca. This is also a crucial time to make sure you’re well informed to maintain compliance while still making a splash on the new scene.
One of the best ways to increase your brand recognition is through positive branding and advertising. The rollout of the new retail regulations has been slow and steady, with only draft regulations available now. These rules are not set in stone just yet, but will be the basis for retail cannabis advertising regulations in Nevada.
Nevada Cannabis Advertising Restrictions
If you want to be ready for the new market and have your advertisements approved by the Department of Taxation with flying colors, these are the most important rules to keep in mind:
Do not advertise towards children (or anyone under the age of 21)
- No cartoons, toys, or characters in your logo or ad
Do not show the consumption of cannabis
- Advertisements must not show smoking, vaping or otherwise consuming cannabis
Do not encourage overconsumption
- Promote safe, responsible use
- Do not promote alcohol use and cannabis consumption together
Do not promote false or misleading information
- Inform and educate your customers with factual, accurate information
Do not give away free product without a purchase
- Unfortunately, freebies are prohibited. All products must be purchased.
Do not advertise anywhere that is not restricted to adults
- This includes playgrounds, public parks, libraries, schools, and public transit
All advertising must include warning messages as required by the Department of Taxation
- “Keep out of reach of children”
- “For use only by adults 21 years of age and older”
Nevada Cannabis Advertising Best Practices
Now that you’re aware of what you can’t do, here are some ideas for what you can do to entice new customers and encourage repeat business:
Do advertise in areas where adults are the primary target
- Coasters in casinos, billboards, flyers to hand out on the Vegas strip, or placing an ad in Vegas Magazine are all great ways to bring adult-only eyes to your business
Do showcase your product, not consumption
- If you’ve got beautiful cannabis products, put them on display in your advertising. Vegas is all about the glitz and glam, and the marketing of cannabis should be no exception.
Do promote safe, responsible consumption
- It’s easy to overdo it in the Nevada heat, so adding a disclaimer in any advertising is not only a good safety measure, it shows the Department of Taxation (and your customers) that you are a responsible business owner and want your customers to be responsible, too.
Do educate your audience
- Including facts and knowledge in your advertising is an excellent way to educate your customers, many of whom are likely to be tourists coming from a state without legal cannabis. A little bit of knowledge goes a long way.
Do advertise discounts and deals
- Giving away free products is a no-go, but offering a discount with the mention of an advertisement will have customers knocking down your door and help spread the word about your business.
Thank you for visiting MDMMCC.com, the premier Medical Marijuana Certification Center in Maryland. Our Mission at the Maryland Medical Marijuana Certification Clinics (MDMMCC) is to provide the certification necessary for qualified patients to obtain Medical Marijuana in compliance with the Maryland Medical Marijuana Laws in the State of Maryland. MDMMCC will have offices open throughout Maryland.