Monica Lo is a cannabis cook, content creator, and food photographer. Check out Sous Weed for more of her cannabis recipes and photography.
Satiate your sweet tooth with a healthy treat that’s out of this world: açaí bowls! I adore a good açaí bowl that’s chock-full of delicious, crunchy toppings.
Açaí is a superfood that comes from Brazil. It’s packed full of antioxidants and definitely doesn’t taste like it’s good for you. It’s rich, almost chocolatey, and spot-on when you’re feeling indulgent. My boyfriend, who’s also from Brazil, had me perfecting this recipe for ages.
I prefer to enhance my açaí bowl with medicated honey and top it with crunchy granola, coconut chips, and mixed fruit. Below is a simple stovetop method for making cannabis-infused honey. This particular method requires a lot of babysitting of the stove but is an alternative way to infuse your cannabis if you don’t have a sous vide machine. If you do have one, go for the more hands-off, discreet route and sous vide your weed!
Basic Cannabis-Infused Honey
(Monica Lo/@sousweed for Leafly)
Start to finish: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
Approximate dosage: Depends on amount of cannabis used
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 cups raw honey
- 4–8 grams ground cannabis, decarboxylated (the more you add, the more potent the honey)
- Bring water to boil in a small saucepan, then reduce the temperature down low to about 160ºF.
- Add honey and stir until it melts into the water.
- Add the cannabis, cover the saucepan, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and strain into a container using a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer.
- Store in a cool, dark place until you’re ready to use.
Pro tip: You can use this as substitute for anything that calls for honey, but always start small! A teaspoon is probably good for someone with low THC tolerance, and you can always dilute the medicated honey with pure honey when you use it in a recipe.
Cannabis-Infused Açaí Bowl
(Monica Lo/@sousweed for Leafly)
Start to finish: 5 minutes
Yields: 1 serving
Approximate dosage: Depends on honey
- One 4-ounce packet of açaí puree (I got mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 frozen banana, peeled
- ⅓ cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon medicated cannabis-infused honey*
- ⅓ cup coconut water
- ½ banana, sliced (for topping)
- ¼ cup granola (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut chips (for topping)
- Mixed berries, fresh for dried (for topping)
- Run the açaí packet under water for 10 seconds and break into pieces in the bag.
- Add açaí, frozen banana, frozen mixed berries, cannabis infused honey, and coconut water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the açaí mixture into a bowl.
- Top with sliced bananas, mixed berries, crunchy granola, and coconut chips. Drizzle a little extra honey on if you’d like to increase the potency.
- Enjoy immediately!
*Note: The amount of cannabis honey specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your honey and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.
Thank you for visiting MDMMCC.com, the premier Medical Marijuana Certification Center in Maryland. Our Mission at the Maryland Medical Marijuana Certification Clinics (MDMMCC) is to provide the certification necessary for qualified patients to obtain Medical Marijuana in compliance with the Maryland Medical Marijuana Laws in the State of Maryland. MDMMCC will have offices open throughout Maryland.